Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Sad Run...

So yesterday after my bench press and kettlebell training session I decided to go for a run since I missed it on Tuesday and I still had a good half hour before my next group was showing up at the gym to train. I decided to do a 20:00 interval run.

I usually head off the main road and run through the back streets of the neighborhoods behind my gym. I put the iPod on cranked "The Pledge" by Michael Masterson - the business audiobook I am currently listening to -- I know, I know.. My running jams rock! It is a great book so far though...

On this run I saw something I never see, mainly due to typically doing my runs on Tuesday, Thursday and/or Sunday, the recycling bins. In my town trash and recycling is picked up every Wednesday morning.

As I'm running I'm kind of peeping everyone's bins out of the corner of my eye, then it hits me.

This is why we are a fat, lazy and out of shape country. This is why overweight and obesity rates are climbing, even though more people are focused on exercise now more than ever. This is why cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular disease are becoming the norm.

In everyone's bins, well at least the 10 or 11 houses in a row I paid attention to, were empty boxes of cereal, empty bags of Chips Ahoy cookies, Oreo boxes, empty soda bottles, and more shit than you could imagine. Not just a recycle bin here and there, every one.

This is how people eat every day, not just as an occasional treat or weekly cheat, this is every day.

I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say I never eat cookies, or cheesecake or some chocolate every now and then-definitely it's sometimes more now!-but this shit is seriously out of hand.

We're a bunch of sugar addicted, trans-fat consuming, lazy fat asses.

C'mon people, eat more good clean food-we all know what we're supposed to eat-just do it now and stop making excuses about it's too hard, it costs too much, it's not convenient. I'm just as busy as the next person and I can do it, so save the excuses. Keep the focus on fresh, raw and whole. Drink water, not soda. Exercise daily. Enjoy a cheat or a snack occasionally. This shit isn't rocket science-it's common f*&$ing sense. Let's get our heads out of our asses and get healthy.

Stay Strong AND Healthy!

-Scott

2 comments:

  1. Scott - have you seen the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead? This 40 year old Aussie comes to the US on vacation and decides to just travel the US and drink nothing but juice for 60 days. He interviews people on his quest to shedding weight and eliminating illnesses.

    I highly recommend it! Very very funny, light on the rocket-science, enlightening, and the message overall was not that you should do this or shouldn't eat that; rather, everyone has choices.

    Best wishes to you and Lisa for 2012!

    Matt S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt!

    Yeah, I saw Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead a while back - it was excellent--great summary BTW! He has really exploded because of it - they have a website, I think it's rebootyourlife or something like that. It's really good. I just watched a documentary movie on Dr. Gabriel Cousins about healing diabetes with raw foods - it's really well done and pretty eye opening.

    Hope you and Lina are well!
    Scott

    ReplyDelete